Playful learning in a safe environment
At preschool Squirrels, children work, play and learn in our safe and positive environment. The curriculum at Squirrels is structured and there’s a climate of security and respect for one another.
- We pay much attention to social interaction. We create an environment where children learn empathy, patience, emotional self-control, social etiquette and an upbeat and constructive attitude for dealing with social problems. The development of social skills is woven into the fabric of what we do.
- We encourage children to make independent choices. Each child receives individual attention and support, as well as challenge and encouragement. We actively create opportunity for positive experiences.
- We accept and respect children the way they are. We celebrate each other’s differences. We teach and show children the importance of tolerance, acceptance, communication and trust.
If your child doesn’t speak English yet, he or she will have the advantage of learning English in a small group, before entering formal education. Our staff speaks (near-)native English and is experienced in leading playgroups and international preschool education. At Squirrels, there’s one adult to 8 children.
Questions and appointments
Do you have a question or would you like to be shown around Squirrels? Please feel free to drop by or contact us for an appointment, at firstname.lastname@example.org or +31 (0)703607138
A day in preschool Squirrels
When the children come into school, they choose between a wide variety of play and developmental activities and materials. There’s time for storytelling, talking, music, outside play and art. Many activities are linked to the current topic, such as ‘dinosaurs’ or ‘winter’. The children are offered a mid-morning snack (fruit or crackers), water or juice. They sit together to eat lunch. After lunch, children have quiet time to prepare for an afternoon of more playing and learning. They’ll go home with lots of things to tell you about their busy day!
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 8.30 a.m till 2.30 p.m.
8.30 a.m. till 12.00 p.m.
Rate per hour: € 8,00
Rate per month: € 733,81
(based on 11 months
*) Academic year 2020-2021
Squirrels is open on the same days as primary school HSV (location Nassaulaan 26). Consequently, the group’s closed during school holidays.
How to enrol
Children who turn 4 between the 1st of October and the 30st of September the following year, are eligible to join preschool Squirrels during that academic year. Squirrels starts in the first week after the national summer holidays, but children are welcome throughout the year. If you register your child before they’re eligible to start in the preschool, they’ll be added to the waiting list for the following school year. Children automatically inlist for 5 days a week. Part-time attendance is not possible.
If you would like to apply, you can fill in our application form.
Our Planning & Advice department will contact you about a placement. If a place isn’t immediately available, you’ll be put on a waiting list. Your child’s place is ensured once you’ve signed and returned the contract to our Planning & Advice department. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to email or call at email@example.com or +31 (0)703385500 (first option).
- Registration for preschool Squirrels and after-school care at 2Samen is separate.
- A place in Squirrels doesn’t guarantee a place in one of the international departments of primary school HSV.
- If your child starts attending the preschool before the 15th day of the month, you will be charged the whole fee for that month. If your child starts after the 15th day of the month, you will be charged half the monthly fee.
- The pre-school group is closed during the Dutch International School holidays and closing days of primary school HSV. The yearly schedule is published on the school’s website.
- Our rates include nappies, fresh fruit, meals with sandwiches, drinks, organized activities, sports and outings.
The government contributes to the cost of childcare. On the website toeslagen.nl you can read about what conditions you must meet in order to be eligible for a childcare allowance, and you can work out exactly the amount of allowance you are entitled to. The maximum hourly rate that will be refunded by the tax authorities in 2020 is € 8,17 for daycare (and € 7,02 for after-school care).